About Matt Shampine
Hi. Thanks for visiting my site. My name is Matt Shampine, but I also go by 차민근. I’m the co-founder and CEO of Dongnae, a technology-powered residential real estate startup. I’m also an active angel investor and live in Seoul with my amazing wife, Claudia, and our dog, Dubu.
Prior to making my way back to Korea, I was one of the founding team members of WeWork back in New York City. During my 9+ years at the company I:
- Built V.1 of WeConnect in 2010 – WeWork’s first platform to book conference rooms, handle billing, member management, and more.
- Co-founded WeWork Labs in 2011 – WeWork’s startup incubator program that has now supported thousands of early-stage entrepreneurs.
- Was in charge of Business Development and Marketing in the early days helping to launch our online magazine, put together partnerships with 3rd party partners to provide services such as health insurance for members through TriNet and payment processing with JP Morgan Chase, close unique deals such as establishing the Columbia Start-up Lab with Columbia University, and kickstart our social media platforms.
- Moved to China on 2 weeks notice as a member of a 3-person team to lead WeWork’s expansion in Asia and Australia as Managing Director for APAC. We set up entities, sourced real estate, and hired hundreds of people across the region while supporting our global executive team to close key fundraising.
- Moved to Korea on 1 days notice to take over the role as General Manager for WeWork Korea. WeWork grew to become the largest shared office space in Korea with over 18,000+ members in 19 locations between Seoul and Busan during my 2+ years there.
Outside of work I am:
- On the Board of Directors for GOA’L, a non-profit to support Korean adoptees.
- On the Board of Directors for LiNK, a non-profit that works directly to support North Korean refugees and works to change the way the world sees North Korea.
- An advisor for the non-profit KSE (Korean Startups & Entrepreneurs) setup to support Korean and Korean-American entrepreneurship through community and resources.
- An active supporter of charity: water and its various programs. Most recently helped to publish Thirst in Korea.
- A recent member of the Board of Governors for AMCHAM Korea where I served as Co-Chairman of the Real Estate and SEM subcommittees.
- A recent advisor to ERA (Entrepreneurs Roundtable Accelerator), an early stage technology accelerator based in NYC.
- Co-founded the startup Onepager which was a platform for small businesses to create beautiful websites without needing to code.
- Co-founded We Are NY Tech where I interviewed (and had coffee with) over 300+ entrepreneurs and investors in NYC.
- Co-founded Simande which was a New York City based digital agency.
- Worked at Mercedes-Benz USA as a Senior Web Developer back in 2008-2009.
- Went to Drexel University in Philadelphia for a Masters degree but dropped out halfway through.
- Was very active in local and state politics. I was elected to County Committee in Fort Lee, NJ. I was also Municipal Chairman for the Republican Party in Palmyra, NJ and ran for public office there at the age of 24.
- Founded a digital agency, NJ Digital Designs, after graduating college with my friend Matt D’Amico.
- Graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science and a minor in Mathematics from The College of New Jersey in 2005.
Delivering Happiness is one of the most impactful books I’ve read. Tony Hsieh set the bar for building culture and caring. RIP Tony Hsieh... Thank you for delivering so much happiness. https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/tony-hsieh-zappos-luminary-revolutionized-045239863.html